Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A lightweight and an outsider

I’m sure I’ll have more to say about the Tony Blair autobiography at some point – although that he and Brown didn’t get on, and that he still thinks he was basically right about basically everything hardly strike me as earth-shattering revelations.  One detail, however, appals.
 
By the standards of days gone by I was not even remotely a toper, and I couldn’t do lunchtime drinking except on Christmas Day, but if you took the think everyone always lies about – units per week – I was definitely at the outer limit.  Stiff whisky or G&T before dinner, couple of glasses of wine or even half a bottle with it.  So not excessively excessive.  I had a limit.  But I was aware it had become a prop.
 
That he was worried about being an alcoholic, because he was drinking half a bottle of wine with dinner is bad enough – one shudders to think of Churchill’s reaction – but that Blair drank scotch before dinner is the frozen limit.  Bounder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home